Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Food which I love and miss

                        Food which I love and miss 

Hi guys since this is my first blog, I decided to write about something which everybody loves to talk, think or share about. In foreign countries you don't get all sorts of delicacies which we get back home, as we all know that the food produce depends on many factors, the given climatic condition,soil type the water stress level, environmental condition and of course it all depends on the population as well, ok i don't want to bore you guys talking about the history and geography of food, let's look about the taste and appetite for food. Here's the list which are my favorite.

Idly      
  sambar

Looks yummy right, am sure for any tamilian, one of their favorite food would be idly sambar or dosa chutney, if not it will become your favorite once you start missing it, i still remember that during my college days when i was doing my internship i had to leave home early at 6.45 or 7.00am, am sure nobody likes to have their breakfast that early,so my mom used to pack me idlis, since it was the easiest and quickest to make,but my sister used to tease me asking that "enna ka innaikum adhe white tyre dhana",yes at some point i was tired of eating it daily so i told my mom not to pack the box, and eventually ended up having breakfast in the hospital canteen, where nothing could beat up the chutney which accompanied the dosa,it tasted so spicy and good with all the mustard, curry leaves seasoning, and a secret ingredient which was unknowingly added in it, but i later came to know about the ingredient after a week or so when i got bed ridden with stomach flu,and yes the special and secret ingredient was the flu virus, since then i never try chutneys in any restaurant coz they dont cook it....hmmmm.i was again back to my box and the same idlis, but i never lost the cravings for the homemade soft idlis and the sirruparrupu sambar which my mom made.
The reason why i miss the food is, i have never known the right consistency to grind the urad batter and the rice, sometimes if i succeed in grinding the batter, i would screw up with fermentation process which took forever during the winter.

Upma


This is my all time favorite food, i know many people hate this including my husband and my brother,i like the arusi rava upma compared to the regular one.I still remember that i used to say to mom that i can eat her upma all day long for all my 3 meals, but my brother hated it so much, he will pick each and every piece of onion from it and eat it,since he hated onions so much he had a aversion towards upma as well. But i still couldn't find the reason behind my husband's hatredness towards it, he always eats it like medicine. Every time i say that am gonna make upma for dinner, i don't know how on this earth he will get tummy pain or his stomach would be full with the coffee which he had early in the evening, but i had never let him go to bed without having my upma.

Pongal vada
and sambar
   

I would consider pongal as my comfort food  because it's easy to prepare, rich is
carbs and easily digestible and best part is you don't have to chew the food much, 
when its all seasoned with the clarified butter, ginger, cumin and cashews it just melts 
in your mouth, i think its for the same
reason my daughter loves it a lot, and yes nothing goes with it best other than 
kathrikai gosthu, but i have seen many people eating it, after carefully picking off all 
the pepper corns and curry leaves, i have wondered many times why do they have to 
eat it such a way, and i have felt that may i should go drag the plate away from them, i 
don't know what's up with being so much against the poor curry leaves.....oh did i 
forget to mention that my husband is one of them. I have heard that my father in law never 
eats pongal without vadas may its because in every restaurant, wedding or during the 
festival season pongal was always accompanied with the vadas.....i think he must 
have got used to the taste i guess.
Everytime i tried to make the vadas, i have ended up making bondas just because the 
batter would become watery and was hard to shape it up. But the readymade vada mix


 has never disappointed me with shaping it up, but it came with its after effects.



7 comments:

  1. Well I couldn't believe this to be your first writing!! As I'm a foodie I really loved to read this! Your description left me mouth watering!! Keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well thank you so much...and it means a lot ...

      Delete
  2. I realized you have so much potential in writing, may be you should start writing something big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good effort...congrats jayanthi...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats jayathi...continue ur writing....

    ReplyDelete